A standard homeowner insurance policy does not cover you for flood loss.  And “flood loss” is not limited to storm surge and overflowing rivers.  It can also include blocked storm drainage systems, snow melts, sewer backups, overflows from sump pumps, and more.  That’s the reason that a significant number of flood insurance claims also occur in low-to-moderate flood risk areas.

 Here’s a simple way to think about flood insurance. If you experience damage from water from above (e.g. your roof is damaged and water comes in as a result) your homeowner policy will likely cover the loss.  If you experience damage from water that comes from below (e.g. the river near your home overflows and fills your basement), you need flood insurance to cover the loss.

 The National Flood Insurance Program defines a flood as a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land or two or more properties are inundated by water or mudflow.

Flood risks generally include (but aren’t limited to) an unusual and rapid accumulation of runoff.

 The Lappan Agency can help you identify the flood risk zone of your residence and whether flood insurance protection is available and right for you.

Start typing and press Enter to search